Hiccups are commonly found problems that affects almost everyone. They are caused due to contraction of the muscles between the lungs and diaphragm. In some cases, it is caused due to a damage to the brain or liver inflammation. One could also get the hiccups by eating too quickly. Age-old remedies suggest drinking glasses of water, holding one's breath, or looking up at the ceiling.
However, if this does not work you could follow these simple traditional cures to get rid of hiccups in a jiffy. These are a few simple tips to follow when you get a case of the hiccups:
1. Put a spoon of sugar in your mouth and allow it to dissolve slowly
2. Blend mustard powder with some ghee and slowly munch on it
3. Chew a small piece of ginger and slowly swallow its juice
4. Take a deep breath in, and exhale slowly
5. Have a spoon of honey
6. Use one of your thumb, and exert some pressure on the palm of other hand
7. Stick your tongue out and try to breathe slowly
8. Boil some cardamom in water and drink it after filtering it
Most cases of hiccups, of course, can be cured in short span of time. Consult your doctor, if they last for more than three hours, or they disturb and interfere with your eating and sleeping habits.
Last Updated 6:38 PM IST