Bengaluru City Police commissioner Bhaskar Rao Saturday warned all shops, malls, banks, hotels, offices, and other establishments in the city of strict action if found to be violating unlock guidelines.
Bengaluru: Two days after the Karnataka government said Bengaluru is still 'safe' compared to the COVID-19 situation in other cities and states and ruled out fresh lockdown for now, Bengaluru Police commissioner Bhaskar Rao said that strict action will be taken if shops, malls, banks, hotels, offices, and other establishments in the city violate unlock guidelines.
Taking to Twitter Bhaskar wrote, “All of you are already aware of precautions to be taken. If you do not implement mask-wearing and ensure a safe distance, City Police will raid and initiate legal action. This has already started.”
Shops,Malls,Banks,Hotels,Offices,and Establishments.All of you are already aware of precautions to be taken.If you do not implement mask wearing and ensure safe distance,CityPolice will raid and initiate legal action, this has already started,it’s is in Public Interest.— Bhaskar Rao IPS (@deepolice12) June 27, 2020
On Friday, June 26 DCP (North) Shashi Kumar had raided shops and establishments in areas under his jurisdiction in the city.
"There will be no lockdown in Bengaluru. It is clear, no lockdown in Bengaluru," Revenue minister R Ashoka had said on Thursday (June 24) after a high-level meeting chaired by chief minister BS Yediyurappa and attended by senior ministers, including himself, and officials.
Earlier on Thursday, Yediyurappa asked people to cooperate by following the measures that are in place for controlling the spread of COVID-19, if they don't want another lockdown in the city.
There are only containment zones in the city and regions that have a large number of cases have been sealed.
However, former Karnataka chief minister and Leader of Opposition Siddaramaiah on Friday urged the government to announce another lockdown to contain the spread of COVID-19.
“The state needs another lockdown but this time it should be well planned. Last time, it was imposed without a second thought impacting the people’s health and even the economy of the state, he said.
He further suggested that lockdown was imperative in the wake of the daily rise in the number of fresh cases and fatalities linked to the pandemic in the state.
With 445 new coronavirus cases confirmed on Friday, the total tally linked to the pandemic rose to 11,005 in Karnataka. As many as 180 people have succumbed to the infection so far.
Among all 30 districts in the state, capital Bengaluru has recorded most cases (1935) and most fatalities (81) so far. As many as 1327 cases are active as on Friday, according to statistics shared by the Department of Health and Family Welfare Services.
Kalaburagi is second on the list with most active cases (381), while Ballari is third (361).
Last Updated 27, Jun 2020, 1:00 PM