Kamal Haasan turns 65: From personal life to films, politics, 10 lesser known facts about Ulaganayagan
From personal life to career in films and politics, here are 10 facts that explain the journey of legendary actor Kamal Haasan, who is celebrating his 65th birthday today
Legendary actor Kamal Haasan, who is currently busy in the political sphere, has turned 65 today. A controversy's child, Kamal Haasan has always grabbed headlines, be it his political stint, films or personal life.
Here are 10 facts about the life of Ulaganayagan Kamal Haasan.
1) Kamal Haasan is the actor's stage name. His real name name is Parthasarathy.
2) Kamal Haasan was born into a Tamil Iyengar family at Paramakudi, Ramanathapuram in Tamil Nadu. His father D Srinivasan was a criminal defence lawyer. His mother's name is Rajalakshmi.
3) Kamal Haasan acted for the first time as a child artiste in 1959. His first film was Kalathur Kannamma, directed by A Bhimsingh. Haasan even won President's Gold Medal for his performance in the movie. He has acted in a total of five films as a child artiste.
4) Kamal Haasan is the first actor in India to take home a salary of Rs 1 crore in 1994. However, he tried to produce the film 'Raja Paarvai' in 1981, but it proved to be a box office disaster.
5) Hollywood director Quentin Tarantino had said that the animation sequence in his Kill Bill movie was inspired by Kamal Haasan's Tamil movie Aalavandhan.
6) Kamal Haasan has been honoured with four National awards, 19 Filmfare awards, nine Tamil Nadu state awards and eight Vijay awards. He is also the winner of Padma Shri, the Padma Bhushan and the Chevalier award.
7) Eight films starring Kamal Haasan have been nominated for the Oscars - in the Best Foreign Film category.
8) One of Kamal Haasan's ambitious projects, Marudhanayagam, was launched by Queen Elizabeth II. This film did not take off due to unexplained reasons.
9) Kamal Haasan made his political entry by floating a party Makkal Needhi Maiyam meaning People's Centre for Justice in February 2018.