- Ganta Srinivas Rao warns private colleges of stern action with regard to increasing student suicides
- But he faces criticism as his negligence led to increasing instances of suicide.
- In the end CM Chandrababu had to intervene and take a decision regarding the issue.
Andhra Pradesh Education Minister Ganta Srinivas Rao faces flak for not following up the reports and taking a stern action against private schools and college administrations.
During the last three years, around 38 Intermediate students have committed suicide, owing to pressure in academics amongst the residential colleges in Andhra Pradesh. Ganta Srinivas stated that the problem is with the private hostels, which are not owned by colleges and mentioned that there are 188 such affiliated hostels in AP.
Though the Education Minister reportedly ordered several investigations, the reports are yet to see light of the day. He never took a stern action against any of the colleges where student deaths took place by suspending or cancelling their permissions. Appointment of committees and ordering of investigations is not sufficient. There’s a need to act on the investigation, which is being neglected by the government and which is the major reason for the lax behaviour of the college administrations.
Here are some of the issues where Ganta Srinivas ordered for investigation but no action was taken against them.
- Earlier Andhra University (AU) Physics and Maths papers were leaked and the minister ordered for an investigation but no one has an idea about the reports
- There were reports about discrepancies in the appointment of various jobs in AU, which was proved in primary investigation but no action was taken.
- School Education’s SA -1 paper was leaked recently and every exam conducted till then was cancelled and the other exams were postponed but no action was taken against the leakages.
- The committee that was supposed to be appointed to look into the discrepancies of Visakha District Library Society Tender was also pending, without any action being taken upon it
Since the Education Minister failed to take action on the issues, many were disappointed and waiting for the intervention of CM Chandrababu Naidu.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:58 PM IST