Here is a roundup of all the Covid-19 updates from across the country. Read and be informed.
1) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday addressed the nation where he discussed the prevailing Covid-19 situation in the country and appealed to the country to come together to prevent another round of lockdown. Earlier, Prime Minister Modi interacted with vaccine manufacturers from across the country via video conferencing. He urged the vaccine manufacturers to continuously scale up the production capacity to vaccinate our people in the shortest possible time.
2) In view of rising Covid positive cases, the Maharashtra government cancels the class 10th board exams this year. Maharashtra Education Minister Varsha E Gaikwad said the safety and security of the students and teachers are most important during a pandemic.
3) Staying on Maharashtra, Health Minister Rajesh Tope says Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray has been requested to announce a complete lockdown in the state from 8 pm on April 21. He also claimed that the state is yet to receive any letter from the Centre about the vaccination programme for those above 18 years.
4) Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal warns of a serious oxygen crisis in Delhi. "I again urge the Centre to urgently provide oxygen to Delhi. Some hospitals are left with just a few hours of oxygen," Kejriwal appealed on Twitter.
5) Delhi High Court expressed concern over the hoarding of some essential drugs. The court said that the Centre should act against people who are hoarding medicines, come out with some norms. The court directed the Centre to implement the decision to ban the use of oxygen for industrial purposes with forthwith effect.
6) Chandigarh Administrator V P Singh Badnore has decided to impose a lockdown in the Union Territory on Wednesday.
7) Section 144 of the CrPC will be imposed in the state from April 22 till May 21, in view of the current Covid-19 situation.
8) All Indian Army recruitment rallies in North-East states and Common Entrance Exam scheduled for 25th April postponed till further orders.
9) Haryana Chief Minister ML Khattar said that so far the state's medical oxygen requirements are being met due to the supply of liquid oxygen supply from Indian Oil's Panipat plant.
10) Asserting that the next 3 weeks are crucial, Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan said that the Centre is working closely with States & UTs on public health measures to contain Covid-19.
11) At a review meeting held on Tuesday, the Centre has advised Union Territories to augment hospital infrastructure, ramp up testing, create containment zones and strictly enforce Covid-appropriate behaviour.
12) Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani said there is no need to impose a lockdown in the state as of now as many restrictions like night curfew are in effect in 20 cities and all educational institutions, malls, theatres, gyms, recreation parks are closed.
13) Gurudwara elections in Delhi, to be held on April 25, have been postponed due to Coronavirus and the ongoing curfew. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has sent the proposal in this regard to LG Anil Baijal.
14) DRDO Chairman Dr G Satheesh Reddy informed that work is on to set up a 450-bed hospital in Lucknow, a 750-bed hospital in Varanasi and a 900-bed hospital in Ahmedabad.
15) Odisha Government has suspended all learner's license and driving license tests at RTOs across the state. The suspension will come into effect from 22nd April till further orders.
16) Nainital High Court has ordered the Uttarakhand government to ensure CT Scan facility at all hospitals in the state as soon as possible, and also increase the number of ICU beds and ventilators.
17) Assam government has issued new Covid-19 guidelines. According to the new guidelines, all market places except chemist shops, shops in malls and weekly markets will shut by 6 pm. Also, not more than 20 persons will be allowed at funerals. Tea gardens and industrial units may function with strict guidelines. The guidelines will remain in effect till April 30.
18) Acting upon a letter from the Ministry of Ayush, the Joint Commissioner (Ayurved) of the Food & Drug Control Administration of Gujarat has issued a show-cause notice to a Rajkot-based Ayurvedic drugs manufacturer. The company had made misleading claims for its product AAYUDH Advance. The company has claimed that its product is the first clinically-tested medicine for COVID-19 management and treatment and is also three times better than Remdisvir.
19) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has given strict instructions to the state home department and transport department that migrant workers returning from Maharashtra and New Delhi should be safely transported to their homes.
20) Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren has announced a complete lockdown for one week from April 22 till April 29 to break the chain of Covid-19 infection. Government offices and essential goods shops will remain open during the closure period.
21) Delhi LG Anil Baijal has appealed to migrant workers not to leave the city in panic. He assured all assistance from the government regarding their needs.
22) Bharat Biotech has announced the expansion of COVAXIN capacity to support vaccination campaigns in India and worldwide amid the surge in cases. The capacity expansion has been implemented across multiple facilities in Hyderabad and Bengaluru to reach over 700 million doses per year which is one of the largest production capacities for inactivated viral vaccines worldwide.
23) Congress leader Rahul Gandhi tested positive for Covid-19.
24) Prime Minister Narendra Modi has cancelled his visit to Portugal for the India-EU summit. He was to travel to Portugal for the 16th India-EU summit which was scheduled for May 8.
25) Maharashtra government has announced that all groceries, vegetable shops, fruit vendors, dairies, bakeries, confectionaries, all type of food shops, shops related to farm produce, pet food shops, shops related to materials for the impending rainy season for individuals/organisation will be open only between 7 am to 11 am.
26) A consignment of 15,000 Remdesivir injections today reached Indore from Bengaluru for distribution across cities in Madhya Pradesh.
27) The Gujarat government has slashed the RT-PCR test rates charged by private laboratories. RT-PCR test charge via laboratory visit will now cost Rs 700. If the laboratory staff administers a test through a home visit, the charge shall be Rs 900.
28) The Army's Base Hospital in Delhi Cantonment will be converted into an exclusive Covid Facility for the Indian Armed Forces and veterans from April 22.
29) Delhi's Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia has assured that more than 2,700 beds will be arranged in the next 4-5 days.
30) Uttar Pradesh government has imposed a weekend lockdown across the state. The lockdown will come into effect on Friday at 8 pm and continue till Monday at 7 am.
31) Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh has tested positive for Covid-19.
32) Telangana government has announced a night curfew from 9 pm to 5 am up to April 30. Essential services will remain exempt during the period. There will be no restriction in the movement of inter and intra-state movement/transportation of essential and non-essential items.
33) DMRC has decided to revise its operational plan with immediate effect during the lockdown. Services during the morning (7 am to 11 am) and evening (4 pm to 8 pm) peak hours across the network will be available with a headway (frequency) of 15 minutes.
34) According to Union Health Ministry data, 12,71,29,113 vaccine doses have been administered cumulatively through 18,83,241 sessions. Over 32 lakh vaccination doses were administered in the last 24 hours.
35) Ten states reported 78 per cent of the new cases in the last 24 hours; 62 per cent of India's total active cases are in just 5 states.
36) Mumbai Police and FDA teams raided 2 pharmaceutical exporters. they recovered 2000 vials of Remdesevir from one location in Marol, Andheri East, and 200 vials in New Marine Lines.
37) Government sources say that medical oxygen supply has been increased by nearly four times from 1,273 MT/day in the last week of February 2021 to 4,739 MT/day on April 17, 2021.
38) Due to the present situation, ICSE cancelled class 10 board examinations. The Class 12 examination will be conducted at a later date.
39) Mumbai on Tuesday reported 7214 new Covid-19 cases, 35 deaths in the last 24 hours
40) Lockdown has been declared in all containment zones in Kerala's Ernakulam district by District Collector S Suhas. This will be implemented from 6 pm on April 21 for seven days.
41) Kerala reports the highest single-day spike with 19,577 Covid-19 cases; the test positivity rate jumps to 17.45 per cent.
42) Multinational pharma giant Johnson & Johnson has reportedly applied to India's drug regulator seeking permission to conduct phase-3 clinical trial of its single-dose Covid-19 vaccine in the country as well as an import licence.
43) Education Minister Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank announced that keeping in mind the safety and well-being of candidates and exam functionaries during Covid-19, he has advised the National Testing Agency to postpone the UGC-NET December 2020 cycle (May 2021) exams.
44) In view of the resurgence of Covid-19 and imposition of certain restrictions by state governments, the Labour and Employment Ministry has resumed operations of 20 control rooms set up in April 2020, to address wage-related grievances & mitigate the problems of migrant workers.
45) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee criticised the Centre's new Covid-19 vaccine policy, calling it hollow and without substance. She accused Prime Minister Narendra Modi of allowing open market sales after depleting the stocks by sending shipments abroad.
46) Congress leader P Chidambaram too criticised the Centre's vaccine policy. "By liberalising the price of vaccine and not fixing a price for states at the same rate as available to the Centre, the Union govt is paving the way to unhealthy price bidding and profiteering. States with limited resources will be at a considerable disadvantage," he said.
47) Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal quarantines himself after his wife Sunita Kejriwal tests positive for Covid-19.
48) Supreme Court has stayed Allahabad High Court's Monday order, imposing near-lockdown in five cities in Uttar Pradesh. The Apex court bench asked the state government to submit within a week a report to the state High Court on the various steps and measures taken to control the pandemic.
49) India on Tuesday reported 2,59,170 new Covid-19 cases, 1,761 deaths and 1,54,761 discharges over the last 24 hours.
50) Hero MotoCorp has announced that it will halt operations at all its plants from April 22 to May 1 as Covid-19 cases surge across India.
Last Updated Apr 20, 2021, 9:28 PM IST