Major breakthrough! India and China disengage in Eastern Ladakh's Gogra
The troops of both sides are now in their respective permanent bases.
Official confirmation has come of India and China disengaging from Gogra in eastern Ladakh.
The decision to disengage was taken during the 12th round of talks between the Corps Commanders of India and China on 31 July at Chushul Moldo meeting point in Eastern Ladakh.
In an official statement, the Defence Ministry said that the two sides had a candid and in-depth exchange of views on resolution of remaining areas related to disengagement along the Line of Actual Control in the Western Sector of India-China border areas.
"As an outcome of the meeting, both sides agreed on disengagement in the area of Gogra. The troops in this area have been in a face-off situation since May last year," the statement said.
The statement also said that both sides have ceased forward deployments in this area in a phased, coordinated and verified manner. The disengagement process was carried out over August 4 and 5. The troops of both sides are now in their respective permanent bases.
All temporary structures and other allied infrastructure created in the area by both sides have been dismantled and mutually verified.
The landform in the area has been restored by both sides to the pre-stand off period.
This agreement ensures that the LAC in this area will be strictly observed and respected by both sides and that there is no unilateral change in the status quo.
With this one more sensitive area of face-off has been resolved.
Both sides have expressed commitment to take the talks forward and resolve the remaining issues along the LAC in the Western Sector.