The Visva-Bharati university founded by Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore in 1921, is also the oldest Central University in the country
Santiniketan (WB): On Thursday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the centenary celebrations of Visva-Bharati University in Santiniketan, West Bengal through video conferencing.
The Governor of West Bengal and Union Education Minister were also present at the event.
The PM stressed on Atma Nirbhar and urged the university students and its officials to help local artists sell their handicraft products online to the global market.
The Visva-Bharati university founded by Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore in 1921, is also the oldest Central University in the country. In May 1951, Visva-Bharati was declared to be a Central University and an Institution of National Importance by an Act of Parliament. The Prime Minister is the chancellor of the university.
Here are the highlights of PM Modi's address:
· Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore had started this great institution with the thought of education and knowledge for all. Today, as we celebrate 100 years of this prestigious institution, we take that thought forward to ensure a good education reaches all.
· Visva Bharati is a venerable source of constant energy to the country. Vishwabharati is a true embodiment of Gurudev's contemplation, vision and hard work for Mother Bharati
· Be it the international solar alliance or the Paris Climate accord, it is important to know that India is the only country in the world that is working at pace with the goals set in the Paris Climate Accord.
· The Bhakti Andolan era, spanning centuries, has given India immeasurable values and lessons to learn from and be inspired from.
· Be it Visva-Bharati University, Banaras Hindu University, Aligarh Muslim University, Delhi University, Jamia Millia Islamia University, Andhra University, Anna Malai University, and several others are premier institutions and came up around the same time, in the same era, and gave momentum to India's thirst for knowledge.
· And learning not just from what is happening in India, but India has always been open to learn from the world over. Take your University's name for example. That itself shows India's approach and views on education - Visva-Bharati - which joined Maa Bharati with the Visva (world) and we as a people have always pursued education and greatly valued it.
· In the Bhakti era, every region of India, every area, east-west-north-south, our Saints, Mahants and Acharyas tried to keep the country's consciousness awake
We must take India to the world, promote local to global. And to achieve that we need to first be vocal about local. I urge you all to promote local manufacturing and services.
Play The virtual Boat Racing Game and challenge yourself Click to Play Now
Last Updated Dec 24, 2020, 12:21 PM IST