EPL 2021-22: Liverpool thrashes 10-man Leeds United, rises to 3rd spot
The 2021-22 English Premier League has its Matchday 4 ongoing, with just a match held on Sunday, as Liverpool went on to thrash a ten-man Leeds United 3-0 and rise to the third spot.
The English Premier League 2021-22 continued with its Matchday 4 commitments on Sunday, with just a game. Liverpool was up against 17th-placed Leeds United away from home, which turned out to be one-sided domination.
The Reds plundered three goals, thanks to Mohamed Salah (20), Fabinho (50) and Sadio Mane (92). The job became even easy for Liverpool after the Peacocks received a red card, with Pascal Strujik being sent off in the 60th minute. Here's how the match turned out.
The opening half saw a couple of attacks within the 14th-minute from either side. However, Trent Alexander-Arnold built excellent gameplay and passed the ball to Salah, who tapped it perfectly, six yards inside the box. It was followed by three more attacks, with a couple coming from Liverpool, as it maintained its lead at half-time.
The second half saw Leeds switching formation to 4-2-3-1, while Liverpool had another attack in the 48th minute. However, a couple of minutes later, Virgil Van Dijk and Alexander-Arnold were involved in excellent passing before presenting it to Fabinho, whose first attempt was blocked but tapped in the rebound.
While Leeds upped its ante with an attack in the 56th minute, it was dealt with a setback, as four minutes later, Struijk was handed a red card for a furious tackle over Harvey Elliott. The latter was stretchered off the field, with Reds boss Jurgen Klopp in an animated discussion with the fourth official.
It was followed by three more attacks by the 83rd minute, with Liverpool looking more dangerous. At the stroke of full time, Jordan Henderson's cross is beautifully intercepted by Thiago Alcantara, as a pass to Mane results in him smashing the ball inside the goal to seal the perfect win.
Records and stats
- Salah scored his 100th EPL goal and became the 30th to do so.
- He is the fourth fastest to do so in 162 matches, while the list is led by Alan Shearer (124).
- Leeds has conceded the most goals via corner since last season (13).
- Liverpool has scored the most goals via corner since last season (13).
- Mane scored the goal in his 10th shot, which happens to be his most attempted in an EPL game.
- Liverpool attempted 30 shots against Leeds, making it 100 in the season so far, while since 2003-04 EPL, it is just the second side to try 100-plus shots in the opening four matches after Chelsea (109) in 2009-10.
- Alexander-Arnold performed his 35th EPL assist, while he is the fourth-youngest to do so at 22 years and 340 days, with the list being led by Cesc Fábregas (20 years and 324 days).
NOTE: Asianet News humbly requests everyone to wear masks, sanitise, maintain social distancing and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. Together we can and will break the chain #ANCares #IndiaFightsCorona