The vice president of All India Muslim Personal Law Board, Dr Sayeed Sadiq, on April 11 said that it would do away with the controversial practice of triple talaq in 18 months. He also said that ‘government interference’ is not required to do away with this custom.

 

Earlier, in a press conference in Bijnor, Uttar Pradesh, Dr Sadiq also stated that strict amendment of the triple talaq rule is the need of the hour. Stressing on the fact that the government interference is not needed, he stated that Muslims will take ‘adequate decision’ by themselves within a year or two that will be in favour of the women of the community.  

 

The recent statement has been made two days after the Muslim Personal Law Board claimed to have got 3.5 crore forms from the Muslim women across India in favour of triple talaq and Shariyat. The board also said to the Supreme Court that the pleas and petitions that challenge the practice triple talaq are outside the purview of judiciary.

 

Meanwhile on April 10, the Centre told the Apex Court that the practice of triple talaq, ‘nikah halala’, and polygamy violate right to equality and dignity of Muslim women and also that they are not protected by the right to profess, practice and propagate religion under the article 25(1) of Constitution. 

 

A number of Muslim women have filed petitions to quash the practice of triple talaq and polygamy. Last year, the Supreme Court suo moto took cognisance of the issue whether Muslim women face gender discrimination due to triple talaq and polygamy.