India's richest municipal body, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has failed to prove its mettle again in the face of heavy monsoon rains in the city. As television broadcasts show citizens neck deep in water, a reiteration of every monsoon in the city, Mumbaikars battled through various other hurdles as they tried saving their belongings and the loved ones from the rising water levels. 12 years after the last deluge, the nightmare returned crippling the state completely. As schools and colleges were shut, people had a great struggle in going about their daily lives. 

The rail services were crippled as the motorists struggled to get their vehicles to the shore- helping themselves and those in need of help. The downpour had already claimed three lives- one in Vikhroli in Mumbai and three in Thane district. Houses collapsed under the pressure of 315.8 mm rainfall. A 2-year-old from Vikhroli, Kalyani Jangam, died in a house collapse caused by the rain in the Parksite area. Also, two people were reportedly drowned and one went missing after they all were swept away in a nullah in Thane district. 

As the railway network in the city failed, heavy traffic was reported on Santacruz-Chembur Link Road, approach roads to Eastern Freeway , JVLR and Bandra-Worli sealink. In fact, heavy rain caused traffic jams throughout Mumbai, and subways at Andheri, Santa cruz and Khar. There was waist-high deep water in parts such as Khar, Linking Road and SV Road in Bandra, Lalbaug, Kalina, Hindmata (Dadar) and Sion. Five places not known to flood normally were also waterlogged: Kemps Corner, Worli (towards sealink), Bhandup (W), Andheri market and parts of Saki Naka.

Flight operations stalled

Flight were suspended due to poor visibility. Close to 10 flights were cancelled, seven were diverted and 13 others had to cancel descending their flights and had to take a roundabout. Arrivals and departures were delayed by 30-60 minutes. 

Power outages made it worse

There were major power outages in Khar-Danda, Pali Hill, Carter Road, Bandra (E) and parts of Santacruz (W) which lasted for hours together. Power consumers in the eastern suburbs of Ghatkopar, Bhandup and Mulund too went without electricity for hours. Power utility firms, however, said that the outage was a "preventive measure" to prevent mishap. 

The rescue operations

While NDRF teams were pressed into action for the rescue of stranded people, the Navy was also deployed who put up four rain shelters for stranded Mumbaikars. Speaking to the New Indian Express, a navy spokesperson said, "WNC has made arrangements to provide shelter to stranded Mumbaikars at Colaba, Worli and Ghatkopar." He further added, "Shelters are being provided at Sagar Institute Colaba, INS Trata Worli, INS Hamla Marve and Material Organisation Ghatkopar."

Naval helicopters were also kept on standby to meet eventuality after the rains. Flood rescue teams and divers were also kept on standby. This, while citizens and gurudwaras opened their arms to welcome the distressed Mumbaikars. For instance, Dadar Singh Gurudwara served food and provided shelters to Mumbaikars all night long. They also sent food to Dadar station and TATA hospital. Tweets for help poured in as people shared their statistics and logistical capacities to transport people from one place to another. Some also offered a resting place and food.