India's new Parliament building: 10 things you should know
First Published Dec 6, 2020, 9:51 AM IST
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will shortly lay the foundation stone for India's new Parliament, which will be a symbol of Atmanirbhar Bharat and will be an "ode to the country's democracy and its people"
Here are some features of the new Parliament building:
* The new Parliament has been designed by Ahmedabad-based M/s HCP Design and Management Private Limited keeping the needs and requirements for the next 100 years in mind.
* New Parliament building would be built in an area of 64500 sq m at an estimated cost of Rs 971 crore.
* The new building will have separate offices for Members of Parliament. Each Member of Parliament would be provided with a 40 sq m office space
* Seats for members in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha chambers will be made comfortable with blocks of two seats. The seats for members will be equipped with digital interfaces
* The new building will have a grand 'Constitution Hall', which will house, among other things, the original copy of the Constitution, digital displays for showcasing India's democratic heritage, etc.
* The new building will also have a MP's Lounge, a Library, six Committee rooms, dining areas and parking space.
* The new building is to be equipped with all modern Audio Visual communication facilities and Data network systems. Special care is being taken to ensure all environmental safeguards are followed
* The proposed building will have a seating capacity for 888 Members in the Lok Sabha Chamber with an option to increase to 1224 Members during joint sessions. Similarly, the Rajya Sabha Chamber would have a seating capacity for 384 Members.
* Adequate safeguards for earthquake safety is being followed keeping in mind zone V regulations, specific to New Delhi and surrounding areas.
* The construction of the new Parliament is slated to be completed by 2024. It is proposed to hold the Winter Session of Parliament in the New Parliament Building when the nation celebrates 75 years of Independence.
How many players do you prefer playing with?