Delhi Police allows tractor rally on January 26, but with riders
The Delhi Police has allowed the farmers, who have been protesting against the Centre's farm laws, to hold a tractor rally on Republic Day.
Dependra Pathak, Delhi Police Special CP-Intelligence, told media persons, "We have finally decided that we will have a tractor rally also on that day (Republic Day) while maintaining the sanctity and security arrangements of the Republic Day celebrations."
The permission though comes with riders.
The farmers can enter Delhi with the tractors for a few kilometres following which they would exit from designated spots.
While the number of participating tractors is yet to be decided, the route has been fixed in such a way that it can be protected.
It is expected that around 5000 tractors would be part of the farmers' rally. Though, farmer leaders claim that the number of tractors participating could be much higher.
The Delhi Police has also instructed all forces, including paramilitary personnel, deployed for Republic Day Parade security to remain in a ready position to move at a short notice for dealing with any law and order situation.
The farmer union leaders have come out with a list of Dos and Don'ts for the farmer rally. These include:
* No music will be played on the tractor to ensure that all announcements are heard by everyone in the parade without any hindrance.
* Not more than 5 people, including the driver, can ride on one tractor. No one will ride on the bonnet
* Use of any drugs before or during the parade is prohibited. Anyone found in possession/consuming drugs will be reported to the traffic volunteer.
* No tractor trolleys will be allowed during the parade.
* Only farmer organization's flag and the national flag will be unfurled on tractors.
* There will be no endorsement of any political party on tractors.