12 opposition leaders tell PM: Ignoring our suggestions led to human catastrophe
Reminding the Prime Minister that the pandemic had assumed unprecedented dimensions of a human catastrophe, the opposition parties appealed to him not to ignore the suggestions they have been offering time and again.
Twelve Opposition parties on Wednesday wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the prevailing pandemic situation and told him that all the "acts of commission and omission by the Centre" had brought the country to such a tragic state.
Reminding the Prime Minister that the pandemic had "assumed unprecedented dimensions of a human catastrophe", the opposition parties appealed to him not to ignore the suggestions they have been offering time and again.
Claiming that the Centre's actions had compounded the situation to reach an apocalyptic human tragedy, Opposition leaders like Congress President Sonia Gandhi, NCP chief Sharad Pawar and TMC chief Mamata Banerjee put forth a list of nine measures.
* Procuring vaccines from all available sources, both in India and abroad.
* Launch a free, universal mass vaccination programme across India.
* Invoke compulsory licensing to enhance domestic vaccine manufacturing.
* Spend the budgetary allocation of Rs 35,000 crore on vaccines.
* Stop Central Vista project work and divert the funds to procuring vaccines and Covid relief material.
* Release all the funds in the PM Cares Fund for Covid-19 fightback.
* Provide Rs 6000 every month to those who lost their jobs due to the pandemic.
* Distribute foodgrains to the needy for free.
* Repeal farm laws to protect farmers from falling victim to the pandemic.
Other signatories to the letter include JD-S supremo HD Deve Gowda, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray, DMK chief MK Stalin, JMM Chief Hemant Soren, JKPA chief Farooq Abdullah, Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav, RJD chief Tejashwi Yadav, CPI leader D Raja and CPI-M General Secretary Sitaram Yechury.
NOTE: Asianet News humbly requests everyone to wear masks, sanitize, maintain social distancing and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. Together we can and will break the chain #ANCares #IndiaFightsCorona