UEFA Champions League 2020-21 preview: Madrid takes on dominant Chelsea, incredible PSG hosts City
The 2020-21 UEFA Champions League has reached its semi-final stage, as four great teams are set to battle it out for the final spot. Real Madrid, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City are the four sides in contention, with the latter two aiming for their maiden UCL title.
The UEFA Champions League has reached its business end phase, with the semi-finals to be played on Tuesday and Wednesday. The opening leg of the semis would be played this week, with Real Madrid, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City battling it out for the final spot, as we present the preview of the same.
Real Madrid to host a formidable Chelsea
On Tuesday, Madrid would witness an intense clash when record champion Real Madrid takes on a former one-time champion Chelsea. Although Madrid might be the favourite here, Chelsea's unpredictability and sheer dominance ever since Thomas Tuchel's appointment as the manager has somewhat changed its fortunes. Thus, Madrid can't be complacent.
- It would be the fourth meeting between Madrid and Chelsea in Europe, with the latter holding a 2-0 lead.
- The two have clashed the most in all competitions.
- It would be the 163rd match between an English and a Spanish side, the most considering the two nations.
- Chelsea would be playing its eighth UCL semis, the most by any English club.
- Chelsea has lost just one of its opening leg in the last seven UCL semis.
PSG and Manchester City to fight an incredible battle
The runner-up from the last season is to take on the potential Premier League winner. Both PSG and City are in the hunt for their maiden UCL title, as one of the team's journey would come to an end in this round. With the opening leg set to be held in Paris, the host would be the favourite, especially considering how it ousted defending champion Bayern Munich and the lethal gameplay it has displayed throughout the tournament. However, Pep Guardiola's men are known for their conniving tactics and it would be futile to rule them out entirely.
- PSG has not won against City in the last three games.
- In their previous meeting during 2015-16 quarters, City won the clash 3-2.
- City is playing its fourth European semis, having last qualified for the final during the Cup Winners' Cup in 1970 and winning it.
- PSG is the third French team to play successive UCL semis after St Etienne and Olympique de Marseille.
NOTE: Asianet News humbly requests everyone to wear masks, sanitise, maintain social distancing and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. Together we can and will break the chain #ANCares #IndiaFightsCorona