Bengaluru tops list of world’s most traffic-choked city
First Published 30, Jan 2020, 11:22 AM
The 2019 edition of TomTom's Traffic Index, which ranks the world's most congested cities, has Bengaluru named the world capital of traffic jams in 2019 with motorists spending 71% more time than a normal journey. Three more Indian cities feature in the top 10.
1. Bengaluru, India – Bengaluru takes the top spot this year with drivers in the southern Indian city expecting to spend an average of 71% extra travel time stuck in traffic.
2. Manila, Philippines - Closely following the Indian tech hub is Philippines capital Manila, where people also spend 71% more waiting time in traffic.
3. Bogota, Colombia – Bogota stands third with commuters spending 68% more time in traffic.
4. Mumbai, India - Mumbai is at the fourth position with 65% congestion, the same as the traffic congestion level in 2018.
5. Pune, India – Pune follows Mumbai at fifth place with 59% congestion. Pune features for the first time in the Traffic Index.
6. Moscow, Russia - Moscow has been named as the sixth most traffic-choked city in the world in 2019 in an annual report released by TomTom.
7. Lima, Peru - Peruvian capital Lima is at the seventh spot in 2019 compared to its third spot in 2018.
8. New Delhi, India - As per the results of the TomTom Traffic Index, New Delhi takes the 8th spot this year with 56% congestion level.
9. Istanbul, Turkey - Istanbul has emerged as the ninth most congested city in the world.
10. Jakarta, Indonesia - Indonesia’s capital Jakarta has bagged the tenth spot in the most traffic-choked cities list.