Asianet News English

Cristiano Ronaldo's Juventus could be banned from Serie A next season, here's why

Portuguese football sensation Cristiano Ronaldo has been gracing Serie A with his presence by playing for Juventus. However, his side could be banned from playing in the competition next season. But why is that?

Cristiano Ronaldo's Juventus could be banned from Serie A next season, here's why-ayh
Author
Turin, First Published May 11, 2021, 12:09 PM IST
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp

Cristiano Ronaldo is a Portuguese football sensation who has been playing for Juventus for the past three seasons. However, his club could face exile from Serie A next season.

According to goal.com, the Bianconeri has been warned that in case it fails to withdraw from the controversial European Super League, the side could be banned for featuring in the Serie A next season. Juventus is one of the three clubs after Barcelona and Real Madrid to have not withdrawn from the ESL.

The ESL was formed last month involving 12 founding members that included some of the big European clubs. However, following severe backlash from fans across Europe, the tournament idea was dropped, as nine of the clubs involved decided to withdraw.

“The rules are clear. If Juventus is still part of the Super League when it enters next season, it can’t participate in Serie A. I would be sorry for the fans, but rules are rules and they apply to everyone. I hope this holdout ends soon,” told Gabriele Gravina (Italian Football Federation president) to Radio Kiss Kiss.

ALSO READ: Cristiano Ronaldo's girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez's breathtaking monokini picture will make your day

“We are all a bit tired of this tug-of-war between UEFA and these three clubs. I hope to be able to mediate between Juventus and UEFA. It’s not good for international football, Italian football, Juventus. We have already said that the football association respects the rules. The rules foresee the non-participation in our championship if the principles established by the federation and UEFA are not accepted,” he further told Radio Anch’io Sport.

The ESL was a brainchild of Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez, who wanted a tournament where the elite European clubs would continue to feature regularly, which would, in return, aid the monetary aspects of all the clubs involved. Meanwhile, Juventus president Andrea Agnelli too tried to defend the concept of ESL yet again.

“We want to stay close to our fans. Our will is to create a competition that can bring benefits to the entire football pyramid, substantially increasing what is distributed to other clubs. A competition, I emphasise, which remains open and provides five places available to the other clubs. The nutrition of the youth sectors is maintained. The biggest problem with the football industry is stability,” he told Corriere dello Sport.

NOTE: Asianet News humbly requests everyone to wear masks, sanitise, maintain social distancing and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. Together we can and will break the chain #ANCares #IndiaFightsCorona

Follow Us:
Download App:
  • android
  • ios