- The 'Jatha' was a protest over the recent atrocities against Dalits.
- Jignesh said that coastal districts were turning into laboratories of communalism.
Following the murder of Praveen Poojary by Gau Rakshaks, progressive thinkers and writers had organised a 'Chalo Udupi' march from Bengaluru to Udupi. The 'Jatha' started from Bengaluru on October 4 and reached Udupi on October 10.
Thousands of Dalit and left-wing activists had arrived at Udupi from across Karnataka to participate in the grand finale. Before the convention, the 'Chalo Udupi' activists took out a march on the main roads of Udupi town. The organisers of 'Chalo Udupi' gave a visit to Praveen Poojari’s house also.
Dinesh Amin Mattu, Media Advisor for Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah, CS Dwaraka Nath, Ex-Chairman Backward Class Commission, AK Subbaiah, former MLC and Gauri Lankesh, activist journalist, were present at the convention.
"Udupi is the symbol of Manuvadis of the country. Hence our fight against manuvadis should begin from Udupi," - CS Dwarakanath
Jignesh Mewani, activist and organiser of the 'Chalo Una' campaign (which was the inspiration for this walk) also participated in the valedictory function organised in Udupi. Krishnamurti Nagavar, a Dalit leader and activist, inaugurated the valedictory convention.
In his speech, Jignesh declared that coastal districts of Karnataka were turning into laboratories of communalism.
"We don't have a problem with the Hindutva of Vivekananda or Basavanna. But we have a problem with the Hindutva of people like Kalladka and Mohan Bhagwat" - Dinesh Amin Mattu.
The main demands and resolutions taken at the 'Jatha' are:
1. To protect the 'right to food' of Dalits and backwards classes and urge the government to form a force for the protection of Dalits.
2. To protect the 'right to land' of Dalits. The government should allot lands to Dalits and suppressed classes on a priority basis.
3. Reservation should be extended to the private sector also. The government should control the industry and should take measures to empower public sector.
4. The government should announce lands to Dalits within two months. Otherwise, all Dalit organisations would organise a state level protest to 'seize' the Vidhana Soudha.
5. The Udupi Math should stop 'Pankti Bheda' in the temple. Otherwise, a massive rally will be organised in Udupi against the math.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:58 PM IST