Asianet NewsableAsianet Newsable

Toddler's failed attempt to wake up dead mom leaves netizens in tears

The woman, according to her family, had been unwell on the train because of lack of food and water.

Toddlers failed attempt to wake up dead mom leaves netizens in tears
Bengaluru, First Published May 27, 2020, 8:11 PM IST

A video that went viral on social media shows how a toddler tries to wake up his dead mother from eternal sleep on a railway platform. The incident occurred at a railway platform in Bihar's Muzaffarpur on Wednesday. A video tweeted by Sanjay Yadav, an aide to RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav, shows the child walking unsteadily up to his mother's body, tugging at the blanket placed over her, and when failing to wake her up, covering his own head with it.

As the mother still lay still, he wobbles away from her, announcements continuing in the background about the arrival and departure of trains that would bring in tens of thousands of people in a rush to get away from hunger and hardship they face in large cities that could sustain them no more.

"This small child doesn't know that the bedsheet with which he is playing is the shroud of his mother who has gone into eternal sleep. This mother died of hunger and thirst after being on a train for four days. Who is responsible for these deaths on trains? Shouldn''t the opposition ask uncomfortable questions?" tweeted Yadav.

However, police had a different story to tell.

Ramakant Upadhyay, the Dy SP of the Government Railway Police in Muzaffarpur, said the incident occurred on May 25 when the migrant woman was on the way to Muzaffarpur from Ahmedabad travelling by a Shramik Special train.

He told reporters the woman, who was accompanied by her sister and brother-in-law, had died on the Madhubani-bound train.

"My sister-in-law died suddenly on the train. We did not face any problem getting food or water," the officer said, quoting the deceased's brother-in-law who he did not name.

He said on getting information, police brought down the body and sent it for postmortem.

Citing the brother-in-law of the deceased, Upadhyay said she was aged 35 years and was undergoing treatment for "some disease" for the last one year in Ahmedabad. "She was also mentally unstable," he said.

When persistently queried about the cause of death, he said, "Only doctors can tell.”

Follow Us:
Download App:
  • android
  • ios