- Maoists including women fighters wearing black uniforms and with sophisticated weapons like the AK series assualt rifles attacked the CRPF men.
- The CRPF team of 99 members were helping in building a road in this Maoists stronghold.
In one of the most deadly Maoist attack in recent time, 25 CRPF men lost their lives in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh on April 24. The CRPF team of 99 members were helping in building a road in this Maoists stronghold area when around 300 to 400 leftist insurgent attacked and killed 25 personnel and left six injured.
The ambush took place barely 2 km away from the CRPF camp, and according to a senior police officer, it was a well-planned attack.
Here are the important details of the attack:
1. A paramilitary source confirmed that the Maoist guerrillas occupying vantage positions, inflicting heavy casualties on the CRPF personnel providing security for road construction work.
2. The Naxalites mounted the assault around 12:25 PM in Kalapathar area of south Bastar region, one of the worst-hit by Left-wing extremism in the country.
3. The Naxals used AK-47s and rocket launchers to unleash brutality on the CRPF men on duty.
4. The Union Home Minister, Rajnath Singh, has called the incident a ‘challenge’ and vowed that "no one will be spared".
5. President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Narendra Modi condemned the attack.
Strongly condemn attack on CRPF personnel in Chattisgarh; condolences to families of deceased & prayers for injured #PresidentMukherjee— President of India (@RashtrapatiBhvn) April 24, 2017
The prime minister tweeted,
Attack on @crpfindia personnel in Chhattisgarh is cowardly & deplorable. We are monitoring the situation closely.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 24, 2017
6. The paramilitary force said in a statement issued in New Delhi, "The CRPF troops replied in a befitting manner but taking geographical position in (sic) their advantage, Maoists succeeded in inflicting loss to CRPF.” It claimed,"Considerable number of Maoists are believed to have been eliminated (in retaliatory action by CRPF men) as the tell-tale sign indicate from the ground." However, no bodies of the Leftist guerrillas have yet been found.
7. "The naxals first sent villagers to check our position... I also saw some women Naxals. They were all wearing black uniforms and had sophisticated weapons like the AK series assualt rifles," the unidentified jawan said.
(With inputs from PTI)
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:58 PM