When Dilip Kumar found Saira Banu lying unconscious in the bathroom; here's what happened next
Dilip Kumar had once mentioned the incident in his autobiography; when his wife had closely escaped death after falling in the bathroom.
There was an incident that many do not know about, an incident where late actor Dilip Kumar's wife Saira Banu had closely escaped death after falling in the bathroom.
Yesterday, legendary actor Dilip Kumar was laid to rest at the Juhu Qabrastan on July 7. He passed away at 98 due to an age-related illness. The actor breathed his last at 7.30 AM on Wednesday at a Mumbai hospital.
Dilip Kumar’s funeral took place with full State honours. In a tweet, his wife, actress Saira Banu thanks Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray as the actor’s funeral took place with State honours.
Dilip Kumar once mentioned the incident in his autobiography, Dilip Kumar: The Substance and the Shadow where he talked about his married life and more.
It was just a few months into their marriage. Dilip and Saira Banu were lovingly embracing marital bliss in each other's company. He looked throughout and eventually opened the bathroom door, where he found her lying unconscious on the floor.
In his book, the superstar had mentioned this incident which had hit him hard. He thought he would lose Saira after seeing her in that unconscious state. The doctors, too, later told that the accident could have turned 'harmful' had Saira been lying in that room longer as the bathroom was filled with "dangerous carbon monoxide."
"All was quiet and well as the breeze outside sang its own song merrily. I suddenly awoke to the feeling that Saira was not by my side. I hurriedly got up, looked everywhere possible and then darted to the bathroom", told Dilip Kumar in his book.
Dilip Kumar added, "What I saw was a nightmare. She was lying unconscious, her body curled and quite still in a white nightgown, her long braid of hair cascading on the floor. By sheer providence, her head had not been injured. She had missed falling on the basin. As I quickly bent and carried her in my arms to the room, all I could utter was ‘Ya Allah! Nothing must happen to you, nothing must happen now that I have found you.' Hurriedly, doctors were called and they pointed out that we had made the terrible mistake of shutting off fresh air by closing all windows and since there was a sigdi with burning coal in some part of the cabin, obviously, some of the coal was left unburnt and hence the dangerous presence of carbon monoxide everywhere inside the cabin. It could have been lethal."
When Dilip was 44, and Saira Banu 22, they got married in the year 1966. Both were together for over five decades. And yesterday, Saira lost her better half, and now she only has his memories to live.