EPL 2021-22, Matchday 2: Liverpool dominates Burnley, Manchester City annihilates Norwich City
The English Premier League 2021-22 is conducting its Matchday 2 commitments, while Saturday saw a couple of matches involving the big sides, with Liverpool and Manchester City emerging victorious.
Matchday 2 of the 2021-22 English Premier League began on Saturday. A couple of games were held on the opening day of the matchday involving the top sides that produced favourable results, as we take a look at them.
Liverpool dominates Burnley
Liverpool was off to a brilliant start in its first game of the season at Anfield as it trounced 18th-placed Burnley 2-0, thanks to goals from Diogo Jota (18) and Sadio Mane (69). While Liverpool has risen to the top spot, for now, it needs to keep the momentum going in the coming matches.
- In 11 EPL games, Liverpool is unbeaten at home while leading at half-time.
- Mane's goal was assisted by Trent Alexander-Arnold, which is the ninth assist for the latter to the former, four more than he has done for any Liverpool teammate.
- Alexander-Arnold has assisted in 33 EPL games since 2018-19, which is the second most, while on top is Manchester City's Kevin De Bruyne (34).
- Mane is the fifth Liverpool player to score 50-plus EPL goals at Anfield after Robbie Fowler, Steven Gerrard, Michael Owen and Mohamed Salah.
- Virgil van Dijk has played 48 EPL games at Anfield and is unbeaten, while only Manchester United's Lee Sharpe is ahead with 59.
Manchester City annihilates Norwich City
In the game involving the defending champion that was playing its first home game of the season, it was back to its dominating ways, thrashing a newly-promoted Norwich 5-0, with goals from Jack Grealish (22), Aymeric Laporte (64), Raheem Sterling (71) and Riyad Mahrez (84). In contrast, Tim Krul's own goal put City ahead in the seventh minute. With this win, City has risen to the fourth spot.
- It was the first in 25 EPL seasons that City's match's opening goal came via own goal.
- Grealish is the first City player to score his maiden goal on his home debut in the EPL after Frank Lampard in 2014.
NOTE: Asianet News humbly requests everyone to wear masks, sanitise, maintain social distancing and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. Together we can and will break the chain #ANCares #IndiaFightsCorona