Asianet NewsableAsianet Newsable

EFL Cup 2021-22, Round 3: Manchester City hammers 6 past Wycombe, Liverpool drubs Norwich City

Round 3 of the EFL Cup 2021-22 got underway from Tuesday. A couple of top teams from the English Premier League were involved, who produced favourable results, while there was an upset.

EFL Cup 2021-22, Round 3: Manchester City, Wycombe, Liverpool, Norwich, Everton, QPR-ayh
England, First Published Sep 22, 2021, 12:57 PM IST
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp

Since Tuesday, the 2021-22 EFL Cup has gotten underway with its Round 3 commitments, with the top English Premier League clubs entering the tournament. A couple of top clubs were involved, which produced favourable results, along with an upset, as we review it.

Manchester City hammers Wycombe with six
It was expected to be a one-sided encounter for the defending champion, as City hammered League One side Wycombe with six at the Etihad Stadium. Although Wycombe took the lead via Brandon Hanlan in the 22nd minute, it opened the floodgates for the side.

Kevin De Bruyne levelled it in the 29th minute while Riyad Mahrez handed City the lead in the 43rd. Phil Foden scored the third at the stroke of half-time for the side to lead. In the second half, it was total destruction by the champion, with Ferran Torres (71), Mahrez (83) and Cole Palmer (88) sealing the deal.

Liverpool dominates Norwich City
Liverpool travelled to take on a struggling EPL side Norwich. As expected, it was one-way traffic from The Reds, despite fielding a relatively weaker side.

ALSO READ: EFL Cup 2021-22, Round 3 preview - Top EPL sides in easy encounters, favourites to proceed to Round 4

Takumi Minamino scored the opener in the fourth minute, with Liverpool leading at half-time. Divock Origi scored in the 50th to double the lead in the second half, while Minamino scored his brace in the 80th, which was the eventual winner.

Everton rattled by Queens Park Rangers
The tournament is famous for giant-killing, as the Championship side Queens Park Rangers hosted Everton. The match ended in a 2-2 tie. While Charlie Austin handed the Hoops the lead in the 19th, the Toffees levelled it in the 30th minute via Lucas Digne. Nevertheless, Austin restored QPR's lead in the 34th, as it led at half-time.

In the following half, Andros Townsend levelled it again in the 48th minute, as it ended 2-2 after regulation time. In the penalty shootout, it was going all good until, at 9-9, Tom Davies missed his spot-kick, while Jimmy Dunne scored the following for the Rangers to see the side through.

NOTE: Asianet News humbly requests everyone to wear masks, sanitise, maintain social distancing and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. Together we can and will break the chain #ANCares #IndiaFightsCorona

Follow Us:
Download App:
  • android
  • ios