- KC Venugopal was recently appointed as AICC General Secretary In-charge of Karnataka
- Though from Kerala, Venugopal has established his links to Karnataka
- Here are three factors which connect him to the state
Venugopal is a Lok Sabha MP from Alappuzha and replaced Digvijay Singh as the Karnataka In-charge of the Congress party. This Kerala MP has visited Karnataka on many occasions, of course not on the official ground.
1) Venugopal is a regular visitor to Mookambika temple in Kollur situated in Dakshina Kannada district
2) He was politically inclined towards happenings in Karnataka as it is the neighbouring state.
3) Venugopal belongs to Kannur, which is quite close to the city of Mangaluru in Karnataka.
Thus though not fluent, from language to culture of Karnataka is not completely new to Venugopal. Even the Congress members feel he will help strengthen the party.
Venugopal’s main aim is to win the 2018 Assembly elections. With Amit Shah’s declaration to stay in Karnataka, Venugopal’s role in strengthening Congress party against the growing popularity of BJP has become more relevant.
So far, there have been developments of in-fighting in Karnataka Congress and that many have expressed their disappointment against Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and his arrogant nature. The members too are hopeful of problems in the party being considered fairly by Venugopal. However, the first challenge lying before him is to change the KPCC president. With six contenders and caste calculations, it is quite a difficult task for the newly appointed Karnataka In-charge.
However, only time can tell whether little of Karnataka connection will help Venugopal solve the problems in the party and gear the members up to fight the BJP collectively.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:32 PM IST