Congress's Jairam Ramesh stated legal options are open to challenge the environmental clearance for a coal mine in MP's Singrauli. He alleged the project would lead to the felling of 6 lakh trees in a previously designated 'No-Go' zone.
Congress leader Jairam Ramesh on Saturday said 'legal options remain open' to challenge the environmental clearance granted for a coal mining project in the dense forests of Singrauli district in Madhya Pradesh. Raising concerns over ecological damage and public interest, the Congress leader has said that around 6 lakh trees will be cut down for the project.

Project Details and Environmental Concerns
In a post on X, Ramesh said the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change had, in May 2025, approved a proposal for a coal mining project. "According to estimates, in May 2025, the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change had approved the proposal of the Madhya Pradesh-based Modani Empire for coal mining in the extremely dense forests of Singrauli district in MP," Ramesh said.
He claimed the area was classified as a "No-Go" zone for mining in 2011 and alleged that more than 6 lakh trees would be cut under the project. "This area spans approximately 7,000 acres and was considered part of the 'No-Go' zone designated for mining due to the richness of forests and the presence of elephant corridors in 2011. Under this project, more than 600,000 trees will be felled," he said.
Legal Challenge History
Ramesh said environmental activists had challenged the approval before the National Green Tribunal (NGT), but the tribunal dismissed the plea in April 2026 on grounds of delay. "This approval was challenged by environmental activists in the NGT. In April 2026, the NGT ruled that the challenge was filed too late and that the petitioners should have approached the NGT much earlier. On the basis of this delay alone, the NGT refused to hear the case on its substantive merits," he said.
The Congress leader added that the NGT order was challenged in the Supreme Court, which on May 21 permitted the petitioners to withdraw the petition and pursue other legal remedies. "Thereafter, the NGT's order was challenged in the Supreme Court. On May 21, 2026, after hearing arguments on the issue of delay in filing the challenge, the Supreme Court permitted the petitioners to withdraw the petition and pursue other appropriate remedies available under the law," he said.
"This means that the case remains open for challenge. It is hoped that this matter, connected to critical ecological and public interest concerns, will be addressed by the High Court and, of course, the Supreme Court with the same sensitivity, rigorous scrutiny and urgency that it demands," Ramesh added.
Adani Power on Dhirauli Mine
Adani Power Ltd, India's largest private sector thermal power producer, said on September 2, 2025m that it has received approval from the Ministry of Coal, Government of India, to begin operations at the Dhirauli Mine in Singrauli district, Madhya Pradesh.
According to an official statement by Adani power, the Dhirauli Mine, owned by Mahan Energen Ltd., a subsidiary of Adani Power, boasts a peak production capacity of 6.5 MTPA, including 5 MTPA from open-cast mining and the remainder from underground operations. According to the geological report, the block has a gross geological reserve of 620 MMT and net geological reserve of 558 MMT, ensuring decades of supply, fuel security, and operational stability. (ANI)
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Asianet Newsable English staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)