The couple in both their sixties, ingested chloroquine phosphate, an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks. It is reported that the duo took the chemical as per President Donald Trump's advice.
A man died and his wife is in critical condition after the couple consumed chloroquine phosphate, an additive used to clean fish tanks. This was touted by President Trump as a treatment for COVID-19, reportedly.
According to reports, the couple in both their sixties, ingested chloroquine phosphate, and the additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks made their bodies react, moments later.
Around 30 minutes after consuming chloroquine phosphate, the couple experienced serious, immediate effects that required them to go to the hospital.
The hospital has warned others not to try the same.
Trump has repeatedly said the drug could be instrumental in the fight against the coronavirus. In a press conference last week, he said the drug, which the FDA has not yet approved for treating COVID-19, "could be a game changer."
In a tweet, the country's health department implored people not to self-medicate to treat for COVID-19. The World Health Organization has not approved chloroquine to fight the virus, the Nigerian health organization said, and scientists are still working to confirm whether it's safe, it added.
Last Updated 24, Mar 2020, 1:31 PM