- Numerous studies have recorded how working for long hours daily in strenuous environments can lead to a lot of problems
- It is this very mentality that has led to a marked change in working hours in the country
- Worried that all the long hours is not earning them a promotion many workers suffer from depression, negative body image, lack of confidence and often experience fall in quality of work and low attention span
If the answer you are looking for is promotion, pay raise and a cabin for yourself, then sorry to disappoint. Just replace the three with cardiovascular disease, family conflicts and suicides.
Numerous studies have recorded how working for long hours daily in strenuous environments can lead to a lot of problems. Most employees today feel that if they are not present at their workstation or clock in longer working hours they run the risk of falling in the graces of the superior or may have to do without a promotion or will be beat out by someone in office who is willing to stay longer than them to do the job. This is true for most start-ups, small businesses and entrepreneurs who are in the search for making it big.
It is this very mentality that has led to a marked change in working hours in the country. Be it the IT sector or elsewhere. However, after some time, this habit can become counterproductive and even hazardous to your health.
Notable scientific findings list this is what happens when you continue to keep long hours of work
1.You run a 60 per cent risk of suffering from cardiovascular diseases
2. Those working over 40 hours a week often end up having marital conflicts as well and as the hours per week extend, the relationship has a higher chance of ending up in divorce.(Study by Cornell University)
3. Keeping yourself awake and motivated, looking for means to deal with the pressure most men and women take to some form of addiction – cigarettes or alcohol and end up adapting unhealthy lifestyle habits. K. Anders Ericsson, an expert on the psychology of work, said: "If you're pushing people well beyond that time they can really concentrate maximally, you're very likely to get them to acquire some bad habits.” Not to mention in women it causes infertility, low gestational weight of babies, mental health issues and more. (Canadian study)
4.Worried that all this hard work and long hours is not earning them dividends or a promotion many workers suffer from depression, negative body image, lack of confidence and often experience fall in quality of work and low attention span. So instead of making positive strides with all the hard work and long hours you are putting in, you are actually going in the opposite direction – your focus begins to waver and you end up making more mistakes.(Report in work of J. Nevison of Oak Associates, white paper)
5. Personal safety is also compromised. With the body working overtime and in stressful conditions one also runs the risk of weathering down the body’ senses. Your reflexes get duller as the time progresses, stuck in lengthy commutes amidst noise can dullen your senses and often people are not in a position to remain alert while driving or riding causing more accidents.
6.You find yourself yearning for more leaves. Not even a weekend off is enough to tide over the stress and fatigue you experienced during the week. As a result you tend to take more sick leaves, which causes others in your team to pick up the slack, work for longer hours and thus the chain continues. This habit can slowly translate into non-productivity in the company’s books and could result in a negative action for you.
Last Updated 31, Mar 2018, 6:44 PM IST