5 things to know about QRSAM, the 'Made in India' missile system
First Published 14, Nov 2020, 8:57 AM
India yesterday successfully tested the Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile System with the missile scoring a direct hit on to a Banshee pilotless target aircraft at medium range & medium altitude. Here's what you should know about the QRSAM
* The missile is propelled by a single stage solid propellant rocket motor and uses all indigenous subsystems. The missile is canisterised for transportation and launch using a mobile launcher capable of carrying 6 canisterised missiles.
* The system is capable of detecting and tracking targets on the move and engaging target with short halts. The system is designed to give air defence coverage against strike columns of Indian Army.
* QRSAM weapon system includes elements like Battery Multifunction Radar, Battery Surveillance Radar, Battery Command Post Vehicle and Mobile Launcher.
* During Friday's test, the radar tracked the Banshee target from farthest range and missile was launched when target was within kill zone and achieved the direct hit with terminal active homing by RF Seeker guidance.
* The missile system is fully indigenous with active RF Seekers, Electro Mechanical Actuation systems sourced from various industries. The Radar is four walled Active Phased Array Radar. All range Tracking stations, Radar, EOTs & Telemetry Stations monitored the flight parameters.