Amnesty condemns conviction of HK activists for Tiananmen vigils

Published : Aug 22, 2026, 01:31 PM IST
Amnesty International logo (Photo/X@amnistia)

Synopsis

Amnesty International condemned the convictions of Hong Kong activists Chow Hang-tung and Lee Cheuk-yan, found guilty of 'inciting subversion' under the National Security Law for organising commemorations of the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown.

Amnesty International has condemned the convictions of Hong Kong activists Chow Hang-tung and Lee Cheuk-yan, who were found guilty of "inciting subversion of state power" under the city's National Security Law for their involvement in organising commemorations of the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown.

'A Setback for Preserving Memory'

According to an Amnesty International press release, the organisation said the verdict highlighted how Hong Kong's National Security Law was being used to punish people for peacefully remembering the victims of the June 4, 1989 crackdown. Amnesty International Hong Kong Overseas spokesperson Fernando Cheung said the ruling represented another setback for efforts to preserve the memory of the Tiananmen events, noting that Hong Kong had historically been the only place on Chinese soil where large-scale public commemorations could take place.

Amnesty International Deputy Regional Director Sarah Brooks said Chow and Lee had been convicted for their roles in organising peaceful commemorations and called on Hong Kong authorities to overturn the convictions. She described both activists as "prisoners of conscience" and urged their immediate and unconditional release.

Charges Under National Security Law

The organisation said Chow and Lee were among seven members of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements of China who were charged under the National Security Law in September 2021. Both have remained in pre-trial detention after repeatedly being denied bail, according to the press release.

Amnesty International also alleged that the National Security Law, enacted in June 2020, has increasingly been used against civil society groups, journalists, political activists and academics.

History of Tiananmen Commemorations

The activists had organised commemorations of the June 4, 1989 crackdown, when Chinese troops opened fire on protesters in and around Beijing's Tiananmen Square. Amnesty said hundreds, possibly thousands, were killed, while many others were arrested in the subsequent crackdown.

The annual Hong Kong vigil, traditionally held at Victoria Park, drew large crowds for decades. However, the major vigil was banned in 2020 and 2021, initially citing COVID-19 restrictions. The Hong Kong Alliance's last major vigil was held in 2019.

Sentencing Awaits

Chow and Lee, along with Albert Ho Chun-yan, who previously pleaded guilty to the same charge, will be sentenced at a later date and could face up to 10 years in prison, according to Amnesty International. (ANI)

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Asianetnews Editorial staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

PREV
Read more

Recommended Stories

Yamato merges Japanese 'analogue' policy with Indian DX ahead of 75th year
BRICS delegates visit Thotlakonda Buddhist heritage site in Vizag