Eluru mystery illness: What we know so far
First Published Dec 12, 2020, 1:22 PM IST
Answers continue to elude experts investigating the mystery illness that sent nearly 600 people to the hospital in Andhra Pradesh's West Godavari district of Eluru. Even as detailed results are expected by Sunday, Here's what we know so far.
* AIIMS, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology and National Institute of Nutrition have found and confirmed the presence of Lead and Nickel in the blood samples.
* National Institute of Nutrition has also found presence of organophosphate in the blood samples. organophosphorous poisoning can happen due to indiscriminate use of pesticides and insecticides.
* National Institute of Nutrition has found traces of mercury in rice and pesticides.
* National Institute of Nutrition has also found the presence of herbicides in vegetables.
* Also under investigation is whether chlorine and bleaching powder was excessively used in Covid-19 sanitation programmes.
* Institute of Preventive Medicine found no heavy metal in milk.
* Chief Minister Jaganmohan Reddy has asked experts to test drinking water samples repeatedly as a Vijayawada-based private laboratory indicated that the drinking water supplied to areas like Gandhi Colony, Ramachandra Rao Peta, Pension Line Area and J P Colony contained high quantities of various pesticide residues, thousands of times more than the permissible limits.