“No Review Allowed” – UEFA Dismisses Barca’s VAR Protest Over Pubill Handball Incident Against Atletico Madrid

Published : Apr 14, 2026, 04:40 PM IST
Hansi Flick

Synopsis

UEFA rejected Barcelona’s protest over a handball incident in their Champions League quarter‑final loss to Atletico Madrid. Barca claimed the penalty denial was a “major error,” but UEFA ruled the complaint inadmissible.

European football governing body UEFA rejected Tuesday Barcelona's complaint over a handball incident in their Champions League quarter-final first leg defeat by Atletico Madrid, hours before the second leg.

Diego Simeone's side won 2-0 at Camp Nou last week and Barca were upset by an incident where Atletico defender Marc Pubill touched the ball with his hand after it appeared a goal kick had been passed to him.

"(After the first leg) Barcelona filed a protest relating to a referee decision. On 13 April 2026, the UEFA Control Ethics and Disciplinary Body declared the protest to be inadmissible," said UEFA in a statement.

Five-time Champions League winners Barca said last week the decision not to award them a penalty was a "major error" which influenced the result and were upset referee Istvan Kovacs was not told to review the incident by the VAR team.

© Agence France-Presse (Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by Asianet Newsable English staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

PREV
Read more
Read more Articles on

Recommended Stories

ENG vs PAK: Joe Root’s Near-Miss of 50 International Average Echoes Don Bradman’s Mythical Milestone
UP T20: Sahab Yuvraj's 91 helps Kashi Rudras beat Kanpur Superstars