Who is Janardhan Reddy?
- Did you know Gali Janardhana Reddy is the son of a police constable?
- He was not always rich, in fact, he started off as a chit fund agent.
The wedding of the daughter of mining czar and former BJP minister G Janardhana Reddy is going to be one of the most talked about events in Bengaluru this week.
While the common man in Bengaluru is left thronging the endless lines outside banks and ATMs, Reddy is set to make a grand splurge for his daughter's wedding. Unofficial estimates put the expenditure on the wedding at around ₹500 crore.
Here some facts about this man, who rose literally from rags to become one to the richest person in Karnataka. He is currently being investigated by the CBI for corruption and other criminal cases.
- Gali Janardhana Reddy and his brothers G Karunakara Reddy and G Somashekara Reddy were not born rich. Born to a Telugu speaking family of police constable Chenga Reddy, in Chittoor district Andhra Pradesh, he grew up in Ballari.
- Janardhana never had a college education. In fact, he dropped out after Class X.
- Janardhana Reddy started his career as chit fund agent in 1990.
- Later he started Ennoble India Savings and Investments India and even a news daily Ennama Kannada Nadu. But by 1998, his chit fund business tanked, he still owes ₹200-crore debts.
- Janardhan reportedly believes himself to be the reincarnation of 14th century Vijayanagar king Krishnadeva Raya.
- He donated a diamond-crusted crown in pure gold, estimated to cost ₹45 crore, to Lord Balaji at Tirupati.
- When CBI raided him in 2011, Reddy owned a three-storey house, which included an office, indoor swimming pool facing a 70 mm screen, massage parlour, a bar, home theatre, and even a bomb shelter. CCTV covered at least half a kilometre of area around the house and another three layers of security surrounded the house.
- 45 necklaces, 610 gold bangles (35 of which were diamond encrusted), 300 pairs of ear-rings (75 with diamonds), 1,200 gold rings (100 with diamonds), several bracelets, antique and platinum jewellery, were seized from his home.
- Being superstitious, Reddy believes that his fortuned changed after his daughter Brahmini was born and hence he wants to make her wedding a grand occasion.
- Reddy's home in Bellary and even the mountain behind has been decorated with lights for the wedding.
- A dozen helipads has been build at the Palace Grounds for the guests.
- Over 1500 rooms has been booked at the top star hotels, along with 2000 cabs.