Five dead, two injured in bow and arrow attack in Norway, suspect arrested
A man armed with a bow and arrows killed Five people and injured two more in a series of attacks in the southeastern Norway town of Kongsberg on Wednesday, local police said. A Danish man aged 37 who lives in the town, was arrested but the motives behind the attacks remain unclear.
Police official Oyvind Aas confirmed that five people were killed. The two wounded were in critical care units in hospital, but their lives did not appear to be in danger, he told a news conference. One of the wounded people was an off-duty police officer. Prime Minister Erna Solberg said reports of the incident had been "horrifying". "I understand that many people are afraid, but it's important to emphasise that the police are now in control," she told a news conference, as quoted by Reuters news agency.
The perpetrator is believed to have acted alone, police said but have yet not ruled out terrorism. The authorities have cordoned off several parts of the town. Residents were ordered to stay indoors so authorities could examine the scene and gather evidence.