Asianet News English

Japan could allow up to 10,000 spectators in pre-Olympic events

The Tokyo Olympic Games will be played between July 23 and August 8. While there are challenges for fan attendance relating to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Japanese government is mulling having around 10,000 spectators in pre-Olympic events.

Japan could allow up to 10,000 spectators in pre-Olympic events-ayh
Author
Tokyo, First Published Jun 16, 2021, 5:10 PM IST
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Whatsapp

After being postponed by a year, the Tokyo Olympics is going ahead as planned and would be held between July 23 and August 8. However, the organisers are facing hurdles and challenges owing to the prevailing COVID-19 pandemic. Still, they are working endlessly and tirelessly to get things done and have them ready on time for the global spectacle.

Meanwhile, one of the headaches that the organisers face right now is the allowance of spectators at the venue. Owing to the pandemic, most of the stadiums in Japan are closed to spectators or having limited spectators. However, if reports are believed, the Japanese government is mulling on having a limited number of fans, around 10,000, in the pre-Olympic sporting events.

According to a report by Kyodo News, a maximum of 10k spectators could be allowed for the pre-Olympic events, while other venues could restrict it to 50% of its total capacity. However, the limit would be in place only for July-August. As of now, up to 5k fans could be allowed at a venue. Also, it would be limited to local spectators since overseas fans have been banned from entering.

ALSO READ: Tokyo Olympics 2020 Playbook warns athletes: Obey Covid rules or face Games exit

Moreover, a poll was conducted by NHK concerning if the Games should be played with a limited crowd or behind closed doors. Unsurprisingly, 32% want a little gathering, while 29% wish it to be held without them. Furthermore, 31% want the Games to be called off, besides three per cent wanting it to be held in total capacity.

In another poll, if the Japanese were impressed by the COVID countermeasures by the government, 42% were unimpressed, while 27% were unsatisfied. Also, 23% were nearly satisfied, while two per cent were reasonably impressed. In the meantime, 80% of the athlete participating have been vaccinated, while the remaining 20% are in the process of getting it done.

NOTE: Asianet News humbly requests everyone to wear masks, sanitise, maintain social distancing and get vaccinated as soon as eligible. Together we can and will break the chain #ANCares #IndiaFightsCorona

Follow Us:
Download App:
  • android
  • ios